Under eye dark circle is a very common worldwide problem affecting all ages and gender. For most people with this condition it is a major aesthetic concern as it makes one look stressed, ill or older. Under eye dark circle is difficult to treat primarily because it has multiple and diverse factors as the cause. Also known as periorbital hypermelanosis, it is a little more common in people of colour. The causes are
- Genetic – often seen to be passed down from mother to daughter
- Constitutional- People with chronic low haemoglobin levels or lack of adequate hours of sleep
- Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation- In atopic dermatitis and allergic contact dermatitis the skin under the eyes is chronically irritated and the friction caused by constant rubbing creates the dark patches
- Periorbital oedema- fluid retention under eyes
- Sub cutaneous vascularity- An increased number of thin capillaries under the eye area shows up as darker areas due to the pigment contained in the blood
- Shadowing due to skin laxity
- Tear troughs with age
Under eye dark circles treatment requires multimodal approach after identifying the primary concern
What Causes Under Eye Dark Circles?
Inadequate sleep and stress are often blamed for dark circles. However late nights spent partying or working on a laptop aren’t only the reasons for the under eye dark circles.
Allergies, nasal congestion, iron or vitamin deficiency are common causes of dark circles. Genetic factors and pigmentation disorders often run in families, particularly among Indians and Asians, because of additional melanin in the skin. With age, the skin under the eyes thins out, causing the veins below to show. This bluish hue gives an impression of dark circles and is commoner in persons with lighter complexions. Poor circulation under the eyes can cause puffiness and eye bags, which are aggravated with water retention and high salt intake.
Combinations of treatments such as chemical peels, laser treatments and radiofrequency treatments can help with dark circles and eye bags. Fillers can treat under eye hollows, which give the false impression of dark circles. Topical solutions containing AHA, peptides and kojic acid are advisable for home care. For puffiness and eye bags one can undergo treatments such as Exilis or Thermage. It is advisable to limit table salt intake and use an extra pillow to sleep with your head propped up. Gentle cold compresses with chilled used black tea bags for about five minutes help reduce puffiness.
To know more about Under Eye Dark Circles Treatment in Delhi, you can contact us by email or phone.
Our Treatments and Solutions