Diet and Acne Vulgaris
Hippocrates said “Let food be your medicine and let medicine be your food” it basically means that good nutrition is a fundamental building block of good health and healthy skin. Various studies showed that there is a direct relationship between healthy food intake and skin health. Out of many skin related disorders Acne Vulgaris is one of the most common conditions which affect most of us.
Let’s understand what all foods we should avoid to prevent acne eruption:
1. Milk: Milk intake causes increase in blood glucose levels which increases inflammation in body leading to pimples eruptions. Increase in blood glucose also causes spike in insulin levels which leads to production of sebum (skin oil) leading to clogging pores thus resulting in acne.
2. Sugar intake: Regular consumption of high sugar foods like candies, cakes, soda, chocolates etc leads to spike in glucose levels which can cause breakouts. Try avoiding high sugar foods and observe the reduction in acne eruption.
3. Long term intake of high glycemic foods like white bread, processed foods, potato chips, cookies etc also causes pimples.
4. High fat and junk foods consumption causes hormonal fluctuations and inflammation in the body which leads to acne.
One should eat a balanced diet having all vital nutrients – like carbohydrates, proteins, fats and fatty acids, vitamins and minerals, in the right proportion for healthy skin and to prevent acne eruption. Include following foods in your daily food intake:
1. Include fresh fruits, vegetables, sprouts, low fat milk, and whole grains in your diet
2. Incorporate Omega-3 rich foods in your diet like fish , soya , almonds , walnuts & Flaxseeds.
3. Foods rich in selenium are great for skin so include whole-wheat bread, cereals, tuna and nuts
4. Choose a variety of fruits and vegetables each day. In particular, select from all five vegetable subgroups: dark green, orange, legumes, starchy vegetables, and other vegetables.
5. Probiotic: Probiotic helps in reducing inflammation in the body there by preventing acne formation. Include probiotic rich foods like yogurt, kefir, curd etc in your daily diet.
6. Stay very well hydrated. Drink minimum 12 glasses of water in a day.
- Get Appointment
Book Your Appointment Online
- Thermage and Fraxel laser treatments are two of...
- Age is inevitable and affects us all especially...
- Nano-blading for Scanty Eyebrows at AAYNA ‘Eyeb...
- Lips are of the utmost importance when we look ...
- Margaret Dabbs Unique Medical Pedicure – ...