Linum usitatissimum also know as flaxseeds are being widely used nowadays because of its multiple health benefits. Flaxseeds are very good source of antioxidants, B vitamins, essential fatty acids and fiber and usually comes in two basic varieties brown and yellow seeds.
What all nutrients are present in flaxseeds?
Flaxseeds are the source of three key important nutrients:
1. Flaxseeds are rich in omega 3 fatty acids.
2. They are rich in lignans (these lignans are rich in antioxidant and phytoestrogens)
3. Good source of mucilage (water soluble gel forming fiber)
All these nutrients present in flaxseeds are responsible for providing multiple health benefits.
Flaxseeds and Health Benefits:
1. Flaxseeds are good for heart: Flaxseeds are rich in alpha linolenic acid which basically prevents inflammation and protects blood vessels from damage. Researchers showed that regular intake of these seeds lowers LDL (low density lipoprotein; Bad cholesterol) and increases levels of HDL (high density lipoprotein; Good cholesterol).
2. Flaxseeds are rich in antioxidants and thus prevent aging. Antioxidants prevent oxidation of free radicals which helps in delaying aging process.
3. Cancer prevention: studies showed that flaxseeds intake reduces the risk of breast cancer, prostate and colon cancer.
4. Helps in digestion: Because of high fiber content flaxseeds helps in relieving constipation. Also mucilage present in flaxseeds helps in better absorption of nutrients.
5. Flaxseeds intakes help in reducing post menopausal symptoms.
How to use flaxseeds?
Grind flaxseeds, keep it in air tight container and it can be used in following ways:
a. Add grounded flaxseeds (1tsp) while kneading dough for chapattis, bread, biscuits.
b. Add half tsp of flaxseeds in porridge, oats or muesli.
c. Sprinkle flaxseeds on salads, cooked vegetables or cooked dals.
d. Mix flaxseed in smoothies, curd.