Treatments available in India for Acne (Pimples)
Most teenagers suffer from acne (blackheads, white heads and pimples) which often leave pits, scars and pigmented marks. Nowadays, the change in lifestyle and stress has led to the common occurrence of acne in older persons also, including those who did not suffer from acne in their teens. This may be due to underlying hormonal imbalance and can be effectively treated by our dermatologists.
The four factors which together cause acne include:
- The generation of oily secretion by the sebaceous gland
- The existence of the bacteria Propionibacterium in and around the pores
- Increased amount of keratin leading to adhesion and formation of initial lesions
- The discharge of various chemicals inside the pore that lead to inflammation
Acne treatments such as chemical peels and oral medication help in minimizing the size and output of sebaceous glands. At times, it takes a combination of several procedures to treat more serious acne. The dermatologist is best equipped to assess the severity of acne and design the suitable plan of treatment for each individual. Three Graces, one of the leading dermatology clinics in Delhi, India, provides customized combination treatments for all types and grades of acne.
When should you begin acne treatments?
The correct time to treat acne is early on to prevent any scarring or spread of acne. Please consult a dermatologist when acne begins to worry you, when serious pimple develops all of a sudden, for small pimples that just won't go off, or even when a lone pimple decides to erupt the week before your glam night out or big meeting at work.
Acne Treatment with Prescription Drugs
There are plenty of prescription drugs available that help in decreasing the size & spread of acne. Mentioned below are some of the drugs that can be prescribed by the doctors:
- Oral Antibiotics: Oral antibiotics play an essential role in minimizing the number of bacteria in and around the follicle. A long course of treatment of many months is usually needed to prevent resistance and acquire the desired results.
- Retinoids: Retinoid or Retin-A is the most widely prescribed medicine for acne, however there are several other drugs that may have less side effects.
- Topical Antibiotics: These have been used effectively for decades as a treatment for acne. Various combinations are also available, which can be prescribed as suitable.
- Isotretinoin (which became popular under the trade name Accutane) is derived from Vitamin A. This is a highly effective acne medicine; however it also has certain severe side effects and needs various precautions and blood tests.
Skin specialists sometimes advise skin treatments to deal with acne. In certain cases, a single skin treatment will work, however often treatments are required in combination with prescription drugs to achieve the desired results. It's quite essential to note that these methods must be carried out under the supervision of experienced dermatologists. It is advised not to try home remedies and scrubs which would can flare up acne and make the skin condition much worse.
- Comedone Extraction: This treatment includes the application of a special instrument on blackheads and whiteheads in order to clean up every pore.
- Intralesional Corticosteroid Injection: For very large painful cystic pimples, a skin specialist injects diluted corticosteroid into the cyst to minimize the redness. This skin treatment is not as similar as using a topical steroid to the skin.
- Chemical Peels: This gentle skin treatment may be used to gently treat blackheads and mild acne.
- Laser and Light Therapy: In the recent past, numerous kinds of laser & light skin treatments have been proven to be beneficial in dealing with acne; however they are only safe and beneficial when applied by trained professionals.